Whopper of a grouper fetches RM7,600

AAvgkeP.img?h=482&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=181&y=154
© Provided by The Star Online

GEORGE TOWN: A giant grouper weighing 152kg was sold to a cafe owner in Weld Quay here for RM7,600.

The grouper’s size caught the attention of market goers who took photographs with the fish at the Cecil Street Market.

Fisherman Khor Swee Boon, 48, said the grouper, or loong tan as it is commonly known, was caught on Tuesday night.

He said it took four men at the market to haul the grouper and lay it on the counter.

“This is the biggest fish I caught this year. I didn’t measure the length but it could be around six feet (1.8m),” said Khor, who has been in the industry for 30 years.

The fish was later cut into pieces before being sold to Ka Bee Cafe owner Chew Kean Ghee, 46.

At the outlet in Weld Quay yesterday, businessman Tan Kek Loon, 39, his wife Chua Hui Teng, 33, and their son Tan Yu Shyang, seven, were seen enjoying a meal of the grouper’s meat.

They said the fish tasted delicious and fresh.

“It was really good. The flesh was sweet and complemented my porridge nicely.

“I come here to eat almost every week but did not know about the big catch,” he said, adding that he was glad he came to the eatery at the right time.